Sunday, August 30, 2020


30 August 2020: My goodness! Summers almost done (well, if you count Labor Day as the "end" of summer) and we are soon to be in the wonderful cool, crisp, and bright days of September! Some of the best on-the-water days of the the year in my opinion - as long as the hurricanes stay away! 
Here in the Northeast US we "enjoyed"the remnants - greatly diminished - of Hurricane Laura which devastated the Louisiana/Texas coast earlier in the week. Our prayers go out to the good folks there who got wiped out and will be trying to restore their lives to some semblance of "normal" in the coming weeks. Hang tough folks!
Today's post was a revelation to your scribe; I had not heard of this first Missouri nor, obviously her history. Of course, everyone knows the battleship USS Missouri, home of the signing of the Japanese surrender following WWII. But this ship, this Missouri, is largely unknown. And she was the harbinger of things to come for the navy. Hope you enjoy the following from Navy History.

The first Missouri, a 10‑gun side‑wheel frigate, one of the first steam warships in the Navy, was begun at New York Navy Yard in 1840; launched 7 January 1841; and commissioned very early in 1842, Capt. John Newton in command.
Departing New York at the end of March 1842 on a trial run to Washington with sister ship Mississippi, Missouri grounded opposite Port Tobacco, Md., 1 April, and did not arrive in Washington until the 13th. The warship made numerous trial runs out of the Nation’s capital during the spring and summer of 1842, demonstrating the advantages of steam propulsion in restricted waters to the Government, and then departed for a long cruise to the Gulf of Mexico. The frigate returned to Washington 25 April 1843 and then underwent overhaul in preparation for extended distant service.

On, 6 August 1843, Missouri embarked the Honorable Caleb Cushing, U.S. Minister to China, bound for Alexandria, Egypt, on the first leg of his journey to negotiate the first commercial treaty with China. The same day the ship was visited by President John Tyler who came on board for a few hours’ cruise in Hampton Roads, observing the crew working the ship and the powerful twin paddlewheels in action. The President disembarked at Old Point Comfort, and the frigate steamed from Norfolk, via Fayal in the Azores, for Gibraltar on the first power crossing of the Atlantic by an American steam warship.

Missouri arrived Gibraltar 25 August and anchored in the shadow of the historic fortress. On the night of the 26th, the engineer’s yeoman accidently broke a demijohn of turpentine in the storeroom which soon ignited. The flames spread so rapidly that the warship was abandoned, the crew barely escaping with their lives. Minister Cushing was able to rescue his official letter to the Emperor of China, allowing him to later carry out his mission. In four hours, the splendid steam frigate was reduced to a blackened and sinking hulk and finally at 0320 in the morning of the 27th, the forward powder magazine blew up, destroying the still burning skeleton of the ship.

British ship‑of‑the‑line Malabar assisted Missouri in fighting the fire and took aboard some 200 of her men. The Governor of Gibraltar threw open the gates of that base to Missouri survivors in an unprecedented act of courtesy which was recognized by a resolution of appreciation from Congress. The remnants of the once proud frigate, a hazard to navigation, were painstakingly removed by divers, piece by piece, from the shallow waters of the harbor.


Who knew?! A short history to be sure, but she set the stage for the new modern navy, steam powered and no longer reliant on the vagaries of the wind!

Until next time, 
                              Fair Winds, 
                                    Old Salt

No comments:

Post a Comment