Wednesday, April 1, 2015

DRAGONS AND BRIDGES

1 April 2015: We were out on the water the other day having a look at the beginnings of the new bridge/causeway being built between Northwest Point on Grand Cayman and the south coast of Cuba. It looks like a beautiful span; I am sorry I can't put up a picture of it, but I can't get a digital version of it easily. It will be high enough for ship traffic as well, I am told, have a tunnel under part of it, apparently not unlike the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel. There  are, I am told, plans to continue on from the north side of Cuba to Key West, should the first leg work out well. It is a big undertaking and will take a while to complete, but they tell me the first bit, Cayman to Cuba, is expected to open by the Winter of 2016 - possibly in time for Christmas travel. Likely to piss off the airlines, but maybe they'll get their acts together and improve their service. One can hope!

In any case, while we were out - actually we were on our way back to the harbor and it was beginning to get dark - we noticed an unusual disturbance in the water just ahead of us. One of my guests asked me to slow down and "let's have a look!" Bad choice. I only had time to grab one picture, but I think it's not bad. Fellow popped right up beside us, took a look, scared the wee wee out of most of us, and disappeared back into the depths. But not before grabbing poor old Charlie, who was hanging out to see better, and taking him down with him. Charlie never surfaced, poor chap!  Here's the pic:


I hope your day has been brightened a bit and wish you a happy April!

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to!

                                    Fair Winds,
                                        Old Salt

No comments:

Post a Comment